Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Just Writing :)

Does anyone else ever feel the need to write, but then once you have a moment to sit and write you have no idea what you want to say? That's about where I've been at the last few days. And I'll apologize in advance for my scattered thoughts, this will very likely not be the best example of my writing (don't tell any of my professors...)
Life up here in Rexburg is pretty great- I have some of the best friends I could ask for, and they just live down the street! And now if the weather would cooperate life would be even better! You know, I didn't really mind the snow at first- it was kind of pretty, but this is just never ending. I swear the clouds are capable of thoughts and they sit up there and watch us, "I suppose we could let some sunshine through our dark accumulation of moisture." "Oh no! Too much sun! You can see the sidewalks again! Better dump another foot of snow overnight and then snow throughout the day, just to be safe." It's like a game or something. The sky must be extremely bored if it feels the need to tease my mind like this constantly for five months straight every year. It's all good though- Allie's roommate has one of those lamps that a person would use to combat SAD, and so we use it whenever we're studying for math tests- and that my friends, is how you remain happy in the constant winter up here. You know, I'm actually grateful for the snow in someways because if it's warm enough to snow than the temperature isn't in the negatives again, yet...
Allie has introduced me to Everwood and Gilmore Girls- and oh my goodness they're amazing, I don't know if I've gone off about them on here yet but I am thoroughly enjoying watching them with her.
So no mission call yet, sadly. But I know what MTC I'll be reporting to (which most of you probably know about since you more than likely saw it on facebook,) but I get to spend six weeks in Mexico learning Spanish! I'm so excited! I've started reading my scriptures in Spanish to try and get some of my language skills back. I still don't have the skills to carry a conversation, but at least I'm at the point where I can read something and translate it in my head into English.
And Valentines Day is this week. Yay... Allie is going to Utah, and Laurel is going to Utah, and all my roommates are going home- or to Utah... (are you seeing a trend?) At least Lydia will still be here! And maybe I'll study for midterms while everyone is in Utah. What's the point of Valentines Day anyways? Shouldn't we treat everyday with the people we care about like a special day? What if they're not here tomorrow? I'd rather that people showed/told me that they cared about me when they wanted to rather than on a day of the year that our society makes people feel guilty if they don't do something special for the people in their life. Sorry, unplanned rant. Well I guess you all know how I feel about Valentines Day. I didn't really have that strong of an opinion about it until I moved a couple hundred miles away from my family. Something about that makes you realize how blessed you are to have people that care about you even when you're dumb and treating them awful. Somehow they still forgive you and let you know that you still matter to them.
On a completely different note, I made GF bread today! And guess what? I think this is one of the few times that I've actually gotten it to turn out! I could have used a larger pan as the crust got a little darker than I would've liked, but it was cooked all the way through, and it wasn't tough or chewy, and it isn't a solid brick, and best of all? It tastes so good! Actually, the best of all may be that when I eat it my insides don't act like they're eating themselves- but that's beside the point.
Ok, I'm out of random things to spew onto a blank page- but this has been fun. And congratulations if you made it all the way through that, thank you for letting me relieve my need to write at any of you wonderful people who actually read this stuff I post :)

4 comments:

  1. It's actually one of your more interesting posts - so much voice.

    GF bread... Does that mean you have xanthum gum now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I feel like my ability to write with voice has dwindled just because I never get to write anything other than research papers anymore- need to get back into writing for fun I suppose!
      I did get it, thank you :) It made my day- though I'm surprised that the letter I'm waiting for is taking longer than the package did...

      Delete
  2. Hey Ems, your writing sounds just like you... so much going on and so much to say about it all! I love it. Mother Nature is a moody, sometimes unpredictable thing... can't do much about it but learn to cope with it. Aren't you glad you don't live in an igloo! Did you girls get a new stove? Maybe that's another reason your bread turned out... besides practice makes perfect! Learning Spanish is probably a plus and I'm glad you are enthusiastic about relearning it. I was wishing I knew more Spanish when I was in Mexico a couple of weeks ago. I meant to take an English to Spanish dictionary with me ... couldn't find it... so assume it's been donated to the library. Valentine's Day, along with several other Days have become more of an opportunity for marketing to sell product... how's that for a rant... yes, one should show those they love that love daily versus opening their wallet as a sign of affection. Honestly, between selling products and boring sitcoms, there is not much going on but pointless dribble in the entertainment industry. But it is sad that you are home alone while everyone dashes of for the weekend. Maybe you could hitch a ride to go see Nicholas in SLC? That would be wonderful for both of you! Love you Ems... Grams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is, I'm just excited for April because the snow will actually start melting for real! It wasn't my stove that died- it was the one in Allie's apartment, but it sounds like theirs has been fixed! You could probably download a free translation dictionary onto your phone or Nook. Lydia will be here (she'll be alone too) so I'll hang out with her. I thought about going to visit Nick, but it's about $50 each way and I just don't have that kind of money.

      Delete