Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Science, Life, and Everything

I think that Rexburg really decided not to do the whole winter thing this year, it's fine by me though! I'd much rather start spring (no matter how cold it is) early. It's kind of great to have no clouds in the sky and grass on the ground.
In my Biology class this morning my professor was talking about how matter in the universe naturally exists in a disorganized form. Basically the sun emits energy that plants absorb those plants are eaten by us or other organisms whom we eventually consume. Through this process (well through the Kreb's Cycle in the mitochondria) we absorb that energy and then release it as heat. That heat can't be recaptured and finds it's way out into the universe as just free energy. Once we've used it, that energy is no longer in an organized form and becomes useless to us as we can't reconvert disorganized energy back into an organized form that we can use. Isn't that cool? My biology professor's comment was that the universe is getting hotter because of our existence, so take that as you will! I love science, it's so neat. Some people argue that science and religion can't intermix, but really it just reenforces my belief that there is a God who created this existence that we live in because I just can't believe something as complex as that can occur by accident.
The other thing I realized sitting in that class this morning was the difference a teacher can make in his curriculum. That professor is so totally in love with the subject he's teaching that you can't help but listen and want to learn what he's there to teach. But then there's the teacher who treats everyone like they're still in high school even though it's an upper level college course and goes off on really unrelated tangents. That class is miserable and you can tell hardly anyone wants to be there. I don't know, I guess I just really began to understand the difference that can come about when people respect you and what you're saying. Speaking of which, I need to go to that class now so I guess that's all I have to say right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment